Core Tasks Include:
- Investigate the relationship between organisms and disease including the control of epidemics and the effects of antibiotics on microorganisms.
- Prepare technical reports and recommendations based upon research outcomes.
- Supervise biological technologists and technicians and other scientists.
- Provide laboratory services for health departments, for community environmental health programs and for physicians needing information for diagnosis and treatment.
- Use a variety of specialized equipment such as electron microscopes, gas chromatographs and high pressure liquid chromatographs, electrophoresis units, thermocyclers, fluorescence activated cell sorters and phosphoimagers.
- Examine physiological, morphological, and cultural characteristics, using microscope, to identify and classify microorganisms in human, water, and food specimens.
- Study growth, structure, development, and general characteristics of bacteria and other microorganisms to understand their relationship to human, plant, and animal health.
- Isolate and maintain cultures of bacteria or other microorganisms in prescribed or developed media, controlling moisture, aeration, temperature, and nutrition.
- Observe action of microorganisms upon living tissues of plants, higher animals, and other microorganisms, and on dead organic matter.
- Study the structure and function of human, animal and plant tissues, cells, pathogens and toxins.
- Conduct chemical analyses of substances such as acids, alcohols, and enzymes.
Supplemental Tasks Include:
- Monitor and perform tests on water, food, and the environment to detect harmful microorganisms or to obtain information about sources of pollution, contamination, or infection.
- Develop new products and procedures for sterilization, food and pharmaceutical supply preservation, or microbial contamination detection.
- Research use of bacteria and microorganisms to develop vitamins, antibiotics, amino acids, grain alcohol, sugars, and polymers.
The data sources for the information displayed here include: O*NET™ 16.0.