Core Tasks Include:
- Organize data, and analyze and interpret its authenticity and relative significance.
- Gather historical data from sources such as archives, court records, diaries, news files, and photographs, as well as collect data sources such as books, pamphlets, and periodicals.
- Trace historical development in a particular field, such as social, cultural, political, or diplomatic history.
- Conduct historical research as a basis for the identification, conservation, and reconstruction of historic places and materials.
- Teach and conduct research in colleges, universities, museums, and other research agencies and schools.
- Conduct historical research, and publish or present findings and theories.
- Speak to various groups, organizations, and clubs in order to promote the aims and activities of historical societies.
- Prepare publications and exhibits, or review those prepared by others in order to ensure their historical accuracy.
- Research the history of a particular country or region, or of a specific time period.
- Present historical accounts in terms of individuals or social, ethnic, political, economic, or geographic groupings.
- Determine which topics to research, or pursue research topics specified by clients or employers.
- Organize information for publication and for other means of dissemination, such as use in CD-ROMs or Internet sites.
- Research and prepare manuscripts in support of public programming and the development of exhibits at historic sites, museums, libraries, and archives.
- Advise or consult with individuals and institutions regarding issues such as the historical authenticity of materials or the customs of a specific historical period.
- Translate or request translation of reference materials.
- Collect detailed information on individuals for use in biographies.
- Interview people in order to gather information about historical events, and to record oral histories.
- Recommend actions related to historical art, such as which items to add to a collection or which items to display in an exhibit.
Supplemental Tasks Include:
- Coordinate activities of workers engaged in cataloging and filing materials.
- Edit historical society publications.
The data sources for the information displayed here include: O*NET™ 16.0.