Anthropology and Archeology Teachers, Postsecondary
Core Tasks Include:
- Keep abreast of developments in the field by reading current literature, talking with colleagues, and participating in professional conferences.
- Prepare and deliver lectures to undergraduate or graduate students on topics such as research methods, urban anthropology, and language and culture.
- Evaluate and grade students' class work, assignments, and papers.
- Initiate, facilitate, and moderate classroom discussions.
- Supervise undergraduate or graduate teaching, internship, and research work.
- Prepare course materials, such as syllabi, homework assignments, and handouts.
- Compile, administer, and grade examinations, or assign this work to others.
- Supervise students' laboratory or field work.
- Plan, evaluate, and revise curricula, course content, and course materials and methods of instruction.
- Advise students on academic and vocational curricula, career issues, and laboratory and field research.
- Maintain student attendance records, grades, and other required records.
- Maintain regularly scheduled office hours to advise and assist students.
- Collaborate with colleagues to address teaching and research issues.
- Compile bibliographies of specialized materials for outside reading assignments.
- Select and obtain materials and supplies, such as textbooks and laboratory equipment.
- Serve on academic or administrative committees that deal with institutional policies, departmental matters, and academic issues.
- Participate in student recruitment, registration, and placement activities.
- Participate in campus and community events.
- Act as advisers to student organizations.
- Conduct research in a particular field of knowledge and present findings in professional journals, books, electronic media, or at professional conferences.
- Write grant proposals to procure external research funding and review others' grant proposals.
- Review manuscripts for publication in books and professional journals.
Supplemental Tasks Include:
- Perform administrative duties, such as serving as department head.
- Provide professional consulting services to government or industry.
The data sources for the information displayed here include: O*NET™.