Geography Teachers, Postsecondary
Core Tasks Include:
- Prepare and deliver lectures to undergraduate or graduate students on topics such as urbanization, environmental systems, and cultural geography.
- Evaluate and grade students' class work, assignments, and papers.
- Compile, administer, and grade examinations, or assign this work to others.
- Initiate, facilitate, and moderate classroom discussions.
- Maintain student attendance records, grades, and other required records.
- Prepare course materials, such as syllabi, homework assignments, and handouts.
- Keep abreast of developments in the field by reading current literature, talking with colleagues, and participating in professional conferences.
- Supervise undergraduate or graduate teaching, internship, and research work.
- Plan, evaluate, and revise curricula, course content, course materials, and methods of instruction.
- Maintain regularly scheduled office hours to advise and assist students.
- Supervise students' laboratory and field work.
- Conduct research in a particular field of knowledge and publish findings in professional journals, books, or electronic media.
- Collaborate with colleagues to address teaching and research issues.
- Select and obtain materials and supplies, such as textbooks.
- Advise students on academic and vocational curricula and on career issues.
- Serve on academic or administrative committees that deal with institutional policies, departmental matters, and academic issues.
- Participate in student recruitment, registration, and placement activities.
- Compile bibliographies of specialized materials for outside reading assignments.
- Write grant proposals to procure external research funding.
Supplemental Tasks Include:
- Participate in campus and community events.
- Perform administrative duties, such as serving as department head.
- Maintain geographic information systems laboratories, performing duties such as updating software.
- Perform spatial analysis and modeling using geographic information system techniques.
- Act as advisers to student organizations.
- Provide professional consulting services to government or industry.
The data sources for the information displayed here include: O*NET™.