Graduate Teaching Assistants
Core Tasks Include:
- Lead discussion sections, tutorials, or laboratory sections.
- Evaluate and grade examinations, assignments, or papers and record grades.
- Return assignments to students in accordance with established deadlines.
- Schedule and maintain regular office hours to meet with students.
- Inform students of the procedures for completing and submitting class work, such as lab reports.
- Prepare or proctor examinations.
- Notify instructors of errors or problems with assignments.
- Meet with supervisors to discuss students' grades or to complete required grade-related paperwork.
- Copy and distribute classroom materials.
- Teach undergraduate level courses.
- Develop teaching materials, such as syllabi, visual aids, answer keys, supplementary notes, or course Web sites.
- Order or obtain materials needed for classes.
- Tutor or mentor students who need additional instruction.
Supplemental Tasks Include:
- Demonstrate use of laboratory equipment and enforce laboratory rules.
- Complete laboratory projects prior to assigning them to students so that any needed modifications can be made.
- Provide assistance to faculty members or staff with laboratory or field research.
- Provide instructors with assistance in the use of audiovisual equipment.
- Assist faculty members or staff with student conferences.
- Attend lectures given by the supervising instructor.
- Arrange for supervisors to conduct teaching observations and provide feedback about teaching performance.
The data sources for the information displayed here include: O*NET™.