Umpires, Referees, and Other Sports Officials
- Officiate at sporting events, games, or competitions, to maintain standards of play and to ensure that game rules are observed.
- Judge performances in sporting competitions in order to award points, impose scoring penalties, and determine results.
- Inspect sporting equipment and/or examine participants in order to ensure compliance with event and safety regulations.
- Keep track of event times, including race times and elapsed time during game segments, starting or stopping play when necessary.
- Signal participants or other officials to make them aware of infractions or to otherwise regulate play or competition.
- Verify scoring calculations before competition winners are announced.
- Resolve claims of rule infractions or complaints by participants and assess any necessary penalties, according to regulations.
- Start races and competitions.
- Teach and explain the rules and regulations governing a specific sport.
The data sources for the information displayed here include: O*NET™ 16.0; US Department of Labor (BLS); Virginia Workforce Connection.
Projections Quick View:
High School Diploma
Three: Medium Preparation Needed
Mid Range ($28,000 - $35,999)