Shipping, Receiving, and Traffic Clerks
Core Tasks Include:
- Examine contents and compare with records, such as manifests, invoices, or orders, to verify accuracy of incoming or outgoing shipment.
- Prepare documents, such as work orders, bills of lading, or shipping orders, to route materials.
- Record shipment data, such as weight, charges, space availability, damages, or discrepancies for reporting, accounting, or recordkeeping purposes.
- Determine shipping method for materials, using knowledge of shipping procedures, routes, and rates.
- Deliver or route materials to departments, using work devices, such as handtruck, conveyor, or sorting bins.
- Pack, seal, label, and affix postage to prepare materials for shipping, using work devices such as hand tools, power tools, and postage meter.
- Confer or correspond with establishment representatives to rectify problems, such as damages, shortages, or nonconformance to specifications.
- Requisition and store shipping materials and supplies to maintain inventory of stock.
- Contact carrier representatives to make arrangements or to issue instructions for shipping and delivery of materials.
Supplemental Tasks Include:
- Compute amounts, such as space available, shipping, storage, or demurrage charges, using computer or price list.
- Compare shipping routes or methods to determine which have the least environmental impact.
The data sources for the information displayed here include: O*NET™ 16.0.