Metal-Refining Furnace Operators and Tenders
- Draw smelted metal samples from furnaces or kettles for analysis, and calculate types and amounts of materials needed to ensure that materials meet specifications.
- Drain, transfer, or remove molten metal from furnaces, and place it into molds, using hoists, pumps, or ladles.
- Record production data, and maintain production logs.
- Operate controls to move or discharge metal workpieces from furnaces.
- Weigh materials to be charged into furnaces, using scales.
- Regulate supplies of fuel and air, or control flow of electric current and water coolant to heat furnaces and adjust temperatures.
- Inspect furnaces and equipment to locate defects and wear.
- Observe air and temperature gauges or metal color and fluidity, and turn fuel valves or adjust controls to maintain required temperatures.
The data sources for the information displayed here include: O*NET™ 16.0; US Department of Labor (BLS); Virginia Workforce Connection.
Projections Quick View:
Virginia: - 5.9%
High School Diploma
Two: Some Preparation Needed
Moderately High ($36,000 - $49,999)