Metal-Refining Furnace Operators and Tenders
Core Tasks Include:
- Draw smelted metal samples from furnaces or kettles for analysis, and calculate types and amounts of materials needed to ensure that materials meet specifications.
- Drain, transfer, or remove molten metal from furnaces, and place it into molds, using hoists, pumps, or ladles.
- Record production data, and maintain production logs.
- Operate controls to move or discharge metal workpieces from furnaces.
- Weigh materials to be charged into furnaces, using scales.
- Regulate supplies of fuel and air, or control flow of electric current and water coolant to heat furnaces and adjust temperatures.
- Inspect furnaces and equipment to locate defects and wear.
- Observe air and temperature gauges or metal color and fluidity, and turn fuel valves or adjust controls to maintain required temperatures.
Supplemental Tasks Include:
- Observe operations inside furnaces, using television screens, to ensure that problems do not occur.
- Remove impurities from the surface of molten metal, using strainers.
- Kindle fires, and shovel fuel and other materials into furnaces or onto conveyors by hand, with hoists, or by directing crane operators.
- Sprinkle chemicals over molten metal to bring impurities to the surface.
- Direct work crews in the cleaning and repair of furnace walls and flooring.
- Prepare material to load into furnaces, including cleaning, crushing, or applying chemicals, by using crushing-machines, shovels, rakes, or sprayers.
- Scrape accumulations of metal oxides from floors, molds, and crucibles, and sift and store them for reclamation.
The data sources for the information displayed here include: O*NET™ 16.0.