Furnace, Kiln, Oven, Drier, and Kettle Operators and Tenders
- Weigh or measure specified amounts of ingredients or materials for processing, using devices such as scales and calipers.
- Press and adjust controls in order to activate, set, and regulate equipment according to specifications.
- Monitor equipment operation, gauges, and panel lights in order to detect deviations from standards.
- Read and interpret work orders and instructions in order to determine work assignments, process specifications, and production schedules.
- Record gauge readings, test results, and shift production in log books.
- Confer with supervisors or other equipment operators in order to report equipment malfunctions or to resolve production problems.
- Examine or test samples of processed substances, or collect samples for laboratory testing, in order to ensure conformance to specifications.
- Clean, lubricate, and adjust equipment, using scrapers, solvents, air hoses, oil, and hand tools.
The data sources for the information displayed here include: O*NET™ 16.0; US Department of Labor (BLS); Virginia Workforce Connection.
Projections Quick View:
Virginia: - 6.9%
National: + 1.1%
High School Diploma
Two: Some Preparation Needed
Mid Range ($28,000 - $35,999)