Furnace, Kiln, Oven, Drier, and Kettle Operators and Tenders
Core Tasks Include:
- Weigh or measure specified amounts of ingredients or materials for processing, using devices such as scales and calipers.
- Press and adjust controls in order to activate, set, and regulate equipment according to specifications.
- Monitor equipment operation, gauges, and panel lights in order to detect deviations from standards.
- Read and interpret work orders and instructions in order to determine work assignments, process specifications, and production schedules.
- Record gauge readings, test results, and shift production in log books.
- Confer with supervisors or other equipment operators in order to report equipment malfunctions or to resolve production problems.
- Examine or test samples of processed substances, or collect samples for laboratory testing, in order to ensure conformance to specifications.
- Clean, lubricate, and adjust equipment, using scrapers, solvents, air hoses, oil, and hand tools.
- Transport materials and products to and from work areas, manually or using carts, handtrucks, or hoists.
- Stop equipment and clear blockages or jams, using fingers, wire, or hand tools.
- Remove products from equipment, manually or using hoists, and prepare them for storage, shipment, or additional processing.
Supplemental Tasks Include:
- Calculate amounts of materials to be loaded into furnaces, adjusting amounts as necessary for specific conditions.
- Feed fuel, such as coal and coke, into fireboxes or onto conveyors, and remove ashes from furnaces, using shovels and buckets.
- Melt or refine metal before casting, calculating required temperatures; and observe metal color and adjust controls as necessary in order to maintain required temperatures.
- Replace worn or defective equipment parts, using hand tools.
- Load equipment receptacles or conveyors with material to be processed, by hand or using hoists.
- Sprinkle chemicals on the surface of molten metal in order to bring impurities to surface and remove impurities, using strainers.
- Direct crane operators and crew members to load vessels with materials to be processed.
The data sources for the information displayed here include: O*NET™ 16.0.