Packaging and Filling Machine Operators and Tenders
- Sort, grade, weigh, and inspect products, verifying and adjusting product weight or measurement to meet specifications.
- Observe machine operations to ensure quality and conformity of filled or packaged products to standards.
- Monitor the production line, watching for problems such as pile-ups, jams, or glue that isn't sticking properly.
- Attach identification labels to finished packaged items, or cut stencils and stencil information on containers, such as lot numbers or shipping destinations.
- Stock and sort product for packaging or filling machine operation, and replenish packaging supplies, such as wrapping paper, plastic sheet, boxes, cartons, glue, ink, or labels.
- Package the product in the form in which it will be sent out, for example, filling bags with flour from a chute or spout.
- Inspect and remove defective products and packaging material.
- Start machine by engaging controls.
- Remove finished packaged items from machine and separate rejected items.
The data sources for the information displayed here include: O*NET™ 16.0; US Department of Labor (BLS); Virginia Workforce Connection.
Projections Quick View:
Virginia: - 1.2%
National: + 3.8%
High School Diploma
Two: Some Preparation Needed
Moderately Low ($17,000 - $27,999)