Coating, Painting, and Spraying Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Observe machine gauges and equipment operation to detect defects or deviations from standards, and make adjustments as necessary.
- Determine paint flow, viscosity, and coating quality by performing visual inspections, or by using viscometers.
- Weigh or measure chemicals, coatings, or paints before adding them to machines.
- Select appropriate coatings, paints, or sprays, or prepare them by mixing substances according to formulas, using automated paint mixing equipment.
- Set up and operate machines to paint or coat products with such materials as silver and copper solution, rubber, paint, glaze, oil, or rustproofing materials.
- Turn dials, handwheels, valves, or switches to regulate conveyor speeds, machine temperature, air pressure and circulation, and the flow or spray of coatings or paints.
- Start and stop operation of machines, using levers or buttons.
- Record operational data on specified forms.
- Start pumps to mix solutions and fill tanks.
The data sources for the information displayed here include: O*NET™ 16.0; US Department of Labor (BLS); Virginia Workforce Connection.
Projections Quick View:
Virginia: + 6.5%
National: + 6.1%
High School Diploma
Two: Some Preparation Needed
Mid Range ($28,000 - $35,999)