- Compute taxes owed or overpaid, using adding machines or personal computers, and complete entries on forms, following tax form instructions and tax tables.
- Prepare or assist in preparing simple to complex tax returns for individuals or small businesses.
- Use all appropriate adjustments, deductions, and credits to keep clients' taxes to a minimum.
- Interview clients to obtain additional information on taxable income and deductible expenses and allowances.
- Review financial records such as income statements and documentation of expenditures to determine forms needed to prepare tax returns.
- Furnish taxpayers with sufficient information and advice to ensure correct tax form completion.
- Consult tax law handbooks or bulletins to determine procedures for preparation of atypical returns.
- Calculate form preparation fees according to return complexity and processing time required.
- Check data input or verify totals on forms prepared by others to detect errors in arithmetic, data entry, or procedures.
The data sources for the information displayed here include: O*NET™; US Department of Labor (BLS); Virginia Workforce Connection.
Projections Quick View:
High School Diploma
Three: Medium Preparation Needed
Moderately High ($36,000 - $49,999)