Core Tasks Include:
- Compute taxes owed or overpaid, using adding machines or personal computers, and complete entries on forms, following tax form instructions and tax tables.
- Prepare or assist in preparing simple to complex tax returns for individuals or small businesses.
- Use all appropriate adjustments, deductions, and credits to keep clients' taxes to a minimum.
- Interview clients to obtain additional information on taxable income and deductible expenses and allowances.
- Review financial records such as income statements and documentation of expenditures to determine forms needed to prepare tax returns.
- Furnish taxpayers with sufficient information and advice to ensure correct tax form completion.
- Consult tax law handbooks or bulletins to determine procedures for preparation of atypical returns.
- Calculate form preparation fees according to return complexity and processing time required.
- Check data input or verify totals on forms prepared by others to detect errors in arithmetic, data entry, or procedures.
- Answer questions and provide future tax planning to clients.
- Explain federal and state tax laws to individuals and companies.
The data sources for the information displayed here include: O*NET™.