Core Tasks Include:
- Reserve, circulate, renew, and discharge books and other materials.
- Enter and update patrons' records on computers.
- Provide assistance to teachers and students by locating materials and helping to complete special projects.
- Train other staff, volunteers, or student assistants and schedule and supervise their work.
- Conduct reference searches, using printed materials and in-house and online databases.
- Deliver and retrieve items throughout the library by hand or using pushcart.
- Take actions to halt disruption of library activities by problem patrons.
- Process print and non-print library materials to prepare them for inclusion in library collections.
- Compile and maintain records relating to circulation, materials, and equipment.
- Collect fines and respond to complaints about fines.
- Design posters and special displays to promote use of library facilities or specific reading programs at libraries.
- Help patrons find and use library resources, such as reference materials, audio-visual equipment, computers, and other electronic resources and provide technical assistance when needed.
- Answer routine telephone or in-person reference inquiries, referring patrons to librarians for further assistance, when necessary.
- Catalogue and sort books and other print and non-print materials according to procedure and return them to shelves, files, or other designated storage areas.
- Maintain and troubleshoot problems with library equipment, including computers, photocopiers, and audio-visual equipment.
- Check for damaged library materials, such as books or audio-visual equipment, and provide replacements or make repairs.
- Compile data and create statistical reports on library usage.
Supplemental Tasks Include:
- Process interlibrary loans for patrons.
- Retrieve information from central databases for storage in a library's computer.
- Organize and maintain periodicals and reference materials.
- Issue identification cards to borrowers.
- Verify bibliographical data for materials, including author, title, publisher, publication date, and edition.
- Review subject matter of materials to be classified and select classification numbers and headings according to classification systems.
- Send out notices about lost or overdue books.
- Design, customize, and maintain databases, web pages, and local area networks.
- Operate and maintain audio-visual equipment, such as projectors, tape recorders, and videocassette recorders.
- File catalog cards according to system used.
- Prepare volumes for binding.
- Compose explanatory summaries of contents of books and other reference materials.
- Collaborate with archivists to arrange for the safe storage of historical records and documents.
- Compile bibliographies and prepare abstracts on subjects of interest to particular organizations or groups.
- Order all print and non-print library materials, checking prices, figuring costs, preparing order slips, and making payments.
- Claim missing issues of periodicals and journals.
- Plan and conduct children's programs, community outreach programs, and other specialized programs, such as library tours.
- Sort and deliver library mail and packages.
The data sources for the information displayed here include: O*NET™.