First-Line Supervisors of Police and Detectives
- Explain police operations to subordinates to assist them in performing their job duties.
- Inform personnel of changes in regulations and policies, implications of new or amended laws, and new techniques of police work.
- Supervise and coordinate the investigation of criminal cases, offering guidance and expertise to investigators, and ensuring that procedures are conducted in accordance with laws and regulations.
- Investigate and resolve personnel problems within organization and charges of misconduct against staff.
- Train staff in proper police work procedures.
- Maintain logs, prepare reports, and direct the preparation, handling, and maintenance of departmental records.
- Monitor and evaluate the job performance of subordinates, and authorize promotions and transfers.
- Direct collection, preparation, and handling of evidence and personal property of prisoners.
- Develop, implement and revise departmental policies and procedures.
The data sources for the information displayed here include: O*NET™; US Department of Labor (BLS); Virginia Workforce Connection.
Projections Quick View:
Virginia: + 8.5%
National: + 6.6%
High School Diploma
Three: Medium Preparation Needed
Highest ($50,000 and up)