- Greet customers and ascertain what each customer wants or needs.
- Maintain knowledge of current sales and promotions, policies regarding payment and exchanges, and security practices.
- Compute sales prices, total purchases, and receive and process cash or credit payment.
- Watch for and recognize security risks and thefts and know how to prevent or handle these situations.
- Recommend, select, and help locate or obtain merchandise based on customer needs and desires.
- Answer questions regarding the store and its merchandise.
- Describe merchandise and explain use, operation, and care of merchandise to customers.
- Ticket, arrange, and display merchandise to promote sales.
- Place special orders or call other stores to find desired items.
- Demonstrate use or operation of merchandise.
- Clean shelves, counters, and tables.
- Exchange merchandise for customers and accept returns.
- Inventory stock and requisition new stock.
- Prepare merchandise for purchase or rental.
The data sources for the information displayed here include: O*NET™; US Department of Labor (BLS); Virginia Workforce Connection.
Projections Quick View:
Virginia: + 1.6%
National: + 1.7%
High School Diploma
Two: Some Preparation Needed
Mid Range ($28,000 - $35,999)