Core Tasks Include:
- Add new material to file records or create new records as necessary.
- Track materials removed from files to ensure that borrowed files are returned.
- Gather materials to be filed from departments or employees.
- Sort or classify information according to guidelines, such as content, purpose, user criteria, or chronological, alphabetical, or numerical order.
- Scan or read incoming materials to determine how and where they should be classified or filed.
- Place materials into storage receptacles, such as file cabinets, boxes, bins, or drawers, according to classification and identification information.
- Answer questions about records or files.
- Modify or improve filing systems or implement new filing systems.
- Perform periodic inspections of materials or files to ensure correct placement, legibility, or proper condition.
- Eliminate outdated or unnecessary materials, destroying them or transferring them to inactive storage, according to file maintenance guidelines or legal requirements.
- Design forms related to filing systems.
- Input data, such as file numbers, new or updated information, or document information codes into computer systems to support document and information retrieval.
- Perform general office activities, such as typing, answering telephones, operating office machines, processing mail, or securing confidential materials.
- Keep records of materials filed or removed, using logbooks or computers and generate computerized reports.
- Find, retrieve, and make copies of information from files in response to requests and deliver information to authorized users.
Supplemental Tasks Include:
- Assign and record or stamp identification numbers or codes to index materials for filing.
- Operate mechanized files that rotate to bring needed records to a particular location.
- Retrieve documents stored in microfilm or microfiche and place them in viewers for reading.
- Complete general financial activities, such as processing accounts payable, reviewing invoices, collecting cash payments, or issuing receipts.
The data sources for the information displayed here include: O*NET™.