Roof Bolters, Mining
- Drill bolt holes into roofs at specified distances from ribs or adjacent bolts.
- Force bolts into holes, using hydraulic mechanisms of self-propelled bolting machines.
- Remove drill bits from chucks after drilling holes and insert bolts into chucks.
- Position safety jacks to support underground mine roofs until bolts can be installed.
- Position bolting machines, and insert drill bits into chucks.
- Rotate chucks to turn bolts and open expansion heads against rock formations.
- Tighten ends of anchored truss bolts, using turnbuckles.
- Pull down loose rock that cannot be supported.
- Perform safety checks on equipment before operating.
- Perform tests to determine if methane gas is present.
- Perform ventilation tasks, such as hanging ventilation curtains and tubes.
- Dust rocks after bolting.
- Install various types of bolts including truss, glue, and resin bolts, traversing entire ceiling spans.
- Drill test holes and test bolts for specified tension, using torque wrenches.
The data sources for the information displayed here include: O*NET™; US Department of Labor (BLS); Virginia Workforce Connection.
Projections Quick View:
Virginia: No Data
National: - 5.4%
High School Diploma
Two: Some Preparation Needed
Highest ($50,000 and up)