STEM Occupations Toolkit: Science, Technology, Engineering and Math
About this Toolkit: The STEM Occupations Toolkit focuses on careers in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics. The resources in this toolkit are designed to encourage students to learn more about STEM careers. The Bureau of Labor Statistics rates STEM jobs with some of the highest growth potential. In addition, many STEM careers are considered Green Jobs, and Green Jobs are significant because environmental issues are more important now than ever.
Tips for Using this Toolkit:
- Use VIEW’s K-8 STEM Booklist and select a book to read to students. Start a discussion about STEM careers by having students play in Kid’s Search
- See if there is an “Eco Day” or “E-Waste: Electronics Clean Out” day or event in your community. Encourage students to participate. If there isn’t an event in your community, focus on Earth Day (April 22nd). Follow up by having students look at STEM Careers in Career Search.
- Introduce a lesson called Save the Frogs! Study these careers: ecologist, zoologist, conservationist, park naturalist, and wildlife researcher. Incorporate VIEW’s Save the Frogs information sheet, Cool Frog Facts, Save the Frogs Poetry Contest, and Save the Frogs Art Contest. Supplement the lesson with A Frog’s Life printable. For an activity about how to make an origami frog, visit https://www.savethefrogs.com/d/teachers/images/Origami-Jumping-Frog.pdf. Save the Frogs day is near the end of April.
- During Earth Science Week, have middle school students study careers in Earth Science. As a resource, students can use Career Search and visit different STEM careers. Consider having students complete Careers in Science, Careers in Engineering, Geological Engineers, or Map of Geological Projects in Virginia. Visit Earth Science Week for more ideas.
- During Earth Science Week, consider having elementary students look at science careers in Kid’s Search, play in the Science Lab, Dinosaur Room, and Underwater Expedition in Career Town, complete Outside Jobs, or any of the K-2 and 3-5 Science activities in the VIEW K-5 Print It area. Visit Earth Science Week for more ideas.
STEM Occupations: Find Out More
- Career Search
- STEM Perceptions: Student and Parent Study by Microsoft
- U.S. Department of Commerce: Economics & Statistics Administration
- Change Over Time Project
A fun, hands-on approach to teaching about Careers, Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics
- STEM Start Ups
Great websites to use in the classroom to promote STEM careers with students and STEM tools for Professionals including ways to enhance your technology!
- Careers in Science K-5
- K-2 Science and 3-5 Science activities
- Books About Science K-8
- Books About Science Careers K-8
- Careers in Science Print It 6-8
- Careers in Science Poster 6-8
- Sea Urchins and Crystals
- Biochemistry 3D Crystal Cutout
- Geoscientist 3D Crystal Cutout
- Physicist 3D Crystal Cutout
- Diabetes Association Diabetes & Kids
- American Diabetes Association Get Energized!
- American Diabetes Association Breakdown at the Insulin Factory
- American Diabetes Association Choose Your Food
- American Diabetes Association Food Safari
- American Diabetes Association Learning about Diabetes: A Walk with Tim and Lindsey
- Careers in Genetics Packet: Activities and Booklist
- Careers in Technology K-5
- Books About Technology K-5
- Careers in Technology Print It 6-8
- Careers in Technology Poster 6-8
- Books About Technology 6-8
- 2013 Fishing Apps Booklet
- K-2 and 3-5 Technology Activities
- Careers in Engineering K-5
- Books About Engineering K-5
- Geological Engineers
- Map of Geological Projects in Virginia
- Careers in Engineering Print It 6-8
- Careers in Engineering Poster 6-8
- Books About Engineering 6-8
- Engineering For Kids: Putting the E in STEM
- K-2 and 3-5 Engineering Activities
- Careers in Math K-5
- Books About Math K-5
- Careers in Math Print It 6-8
- Careers in Math Poster 6-8
- Books About Math 6-8
- K-2 Math Activities
- 3-5 Math Activities